Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Warning: Pattern Ahead - A Progress Update

I keep a journal.  I have kept one since 2011.  I keep it electronically.  I use Penzu.  I know some people may not like journaling electronically and would prefer handwriting in a bound journal of some sort.  I like journaling this way for two main reasons: 1.  I prefer typing over handwriting.  I always have.  Its so much quicker.  2.  I like that I get e-mails reminding me of what I wrote on a certain day years ago.

This morning I got one of those updates.  It started with here is what you wrote one year ago.  It was dated February 20, 2017 and the headline of the entry was "No Discipline!"  I go on to talk about how I went way over my Weight Watchers points that week thanks to being on a short weekend vacation as well as Valentine's Day and going out to dinner a lot.  I also mentioned that I didn't do well on getting any exercise that week.  The results were that I had gained one pound and was at 240.

I basically wrote that exact same post on Monday of this week without having an idea that I had written that a year ago.  I went well over my allotted points for the week with Weight Watchers and I didn't do so great with my exercise last week.  Again, I talked about going out to eat more than usual with both Valentine's Day and going out to dinner over the weekend.  According to the scale this week, I didn't gain. That was a relief.  I didn't lose either though.  The scale read the same thing it did a week ago.  239.  So, I weigh exactly what I did at this point last year.

Last year's entry I also mention that it was an unusual 60 degree day and that I should get out and get moving.  Even Mother Nature is in a pattern!  Today, February 20, 2018 we are having an unusually warm spring-like day.

Recognizing patterns is an important part of this journey.  I don't want to continue down the same path as I did last year because I know that ended up with me gaining another 21 pounds throughout the year and ending up at 261, my heaviest weight ever.

I've been doing good so far this year.  Obviously there will be set backs.  That is also part of the process.  I just can't let those set backs steer me too far off track.  I have to keep moving forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gift of Meditation

It's been a long while since I have written anything in this blog.  The last post I see was from April 20.  This is not surprising to me...